Saturday 25 February 2012

Ice Website (new design)

Here are a few screen shots of the first draft of my new web design. 

I showed the first draft to my tutor and got some helpful feedback:

- Make the background image more transparent so the logo stands out more.
- Change the links in the navigation to Javascript buttons.
- Change the Times New Roman font to a more attractive font such as Arial.
- Change the social media links into Icons (the default icons for those sites).
- Add an image to the home page to make it look more interesting.
- Add a mail form to the contact page instead of a mail to link.

I was able to implement all of the changes above except for the email form which I found far too complicated; I would have needed to create a separate PHP page which lots of complicated code to make it work, at this stage I do not have enough knowledge to make this happen but I will consider it for the future.

The second draft of my design can be found online at this link: http://nimahedayati.com

Here is a screen shot of the new and improved home page.


The 5 links on the left side of the navigation are buttons which change colour when the mouse rolls over them. The 7 social media icons on the right of the navigation are also buttons which change from monochrome to full colour when the mouse rolls over them. 

The other changes I made to the home page are:

- I added a purple gradient to the top of the background image to make the foreground logo stand out more.
- I added a small colourful image to add character to the page.
- I changed the font of the text in the content area to Arial.

As all the links are now in the navigation bar I got rid of the links page and replaced it with a news page which I will update regularly.

I believe that the changes I have made make the site slightly more professional looking and better from a design perspective. I know I still have much to learn about design and coding but I look forward to the challenge of creating websites for clients. I hope to extend my knowledge of design and coding over the next two years and gradually begin freelance work.

No comments:

Post a Comment