Thursday 21 November 2013

Research Project: First Artefact - Organic vs Sponsored search results

Throughout my five artefacts I have decided to follow an internet marketing campaign for a test website with the aim of increasing the website ranking in search results.

Through my first artefact I wish to discover the most effective strategy for marketing a site for search engines.

There are two types of search results; these are organic results i.e. websites which achieve their ranking through search engine optimization and those which are sponsored results i.e. websites which pay for the listing through services such as Google Ad Words. Through surveying members of the public I wish to enquire which type of search result people actually pay attention to so I can start my campaign in the right direction.

Using the image below I have asked people:

When you do a search on Google do you first click on the links in the red area or the links in the blue area? 






















I have not indicated this on the survey but the red area is sponsored results and the blue area is organic results.

So far I have had 19 responses to my survey; here are the results:






















I have spoken to Google to enquire about the price of Ad Words and found out that paying for a sponsored result for just one keyword would cost at least £5 per day. From the result of my survey it is clear to me that sponsored search results are generally ignored by the public so paying for this expensive method of marketing would be a waste of money.

Organic search engine optimization is clearly the best way forward for my campaign. I now need to learn how to effectively optimize a web page for a selected set of keywords. In my second artefact I will look at keyword placement in page titles/headings and how this impacts a page ranking in organic search results.

No comments:

Post a Comment